Friday, August 20, 2010

Stood up, fed up

I got stood up recently. Twice, in fact. By two different men. Within one month.

I was surprised the first time it happened....hurt, actually, because I kinda liked the guy.  We had been on one fairly fantastic date and then - BAM - out of seemingly nowhere, he doesn't show up.  I chalked it up to some rare, flesh-eating disease that must have rendered him hideous and he was just too embarrassed to face me or to talk about it.  Then, when I got stood up the second time, I checked the news for a segment on the pandemic that was sweeping across the population of single men in Toronto. Symptoms: failure to follow through on commitments, inability to dial or text, and, in rare occasions, completely vanishing altogether.

It was a long shot, but what else could it be?

Not even my male friends could offer a reasonable suggestion as to why this would've happened to me. And twice, no less.  I am considered, among my friends, to be a rather attractive, intelligent, witty and fun, career-oriented, ambitious woman and all-around cool chick.  Not clicking with someone is one thing, but setting a date and then bailing without communication is a whole other kettle of fish.  I'd really like to know if there is a way to avoid the type of guy that would commit such and offense.  The two in my experience seemed completely normal and quite into me.  I never saw it coming.

And I guess I still don't really have any answers to this conundrum.  I don't plan on giving up on dating completely, but how attractive is the disclaimer:

"If you plan on wasting my time after I've found a sitter for the evening, at least give me a heads-up so, I can do something else with the little free time I have.  Thanks."

...?

In the meantime, I'm checking references.  Allowing my friends to do the matchmaker thing that they like to do, but only with people they've known to have at least an 85% follow through rate.

I'm also keeping one eye on the news for signs of my suspected pandemic.

Until next time,
The Single Chick

1 comment:

  1. Oh geez. That's sooo strange. Why do people do this?? This happened to me twice in college - by the same guy.

    ReplyDelete

Something to say??